January 06, 2014
*Sigh* Miserable Blue Monday
Welcome, 2014! Today is Epiphany, also known as Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year. Now that the holidays are over, the highs I felt from listening to Christmas music, baking holiday cookies, and being on a two-wee vacation has passed, leaving me in the doldrums.
I'm not alone, according to this article about Blue Monday.
On top of the blues from needing to put away all my Christmas gack, I received a royalty notice for £1.35. Wow! A windfall! I'm trying to laugh about it, but this news has all but killed what little desire I had to write. That's okay, since I intended on doing nothing other than watching season 3 of "Downton Abbey" today. I'm not quite ready to end my vacation yet.
Instead of letting this day get me too down, I'm reiterating my goals for the year.
1. Finish "Alex Craig Has A Threesome" and submit it to publishers. If rejected, I self-publish it.
2. Finish "Full Moon Fever" and submit it to publishers. If rejected, I self-publish it.
3. Finish four stories for one of my publishers. This won't be easy to do since I feel no motivation to write whatsoever, especially these particular stories.
4. Sock away money for the Stanley Hotel Writers Retreat in October. This will likely be the highlight of my year. I get to work on my first horror novel, "Hell Time", and I will turn this retreat into a two week vacation with my husband. Ah, to be snowed in where "The Shining" took place around Halloween, yet. That's something to look forward to.
5. Publish a few short stories in anthologies. I hope I have better luck with this than I did in 2013.
6. Do more radio shows. Enjoy the live chats with readers. Post more blog posts. Guest blog more often.
7. I've eliminated a lot of promotional nonsense from my life. I cut back on Yahoo group promotions. No more paid online book tours. No more so-called reader's forums where writers are either ignored or attacked. Plus hanging out hasn't resulted in book sales for me, so I wont waste my time anymore. I'm cutting out a lot of the social media time suckage that hasn't made a bit of difference for my sales.
8. Finish editing and find an agent for my thriller/family saga "Secrets and Lies"
9. I'm going to do my best to not get depressed over rejections, lackluster sales, and other frustrations. It won't be easy, but I'll do my best.
10. I'll get away from the computer more often. Go out. Read. Watch movies and TV. Hang out with my husband and son. Garden. Definitely make a habit of walking on the beach with my morning coffee once the weather warms up. I miss those morning walks. They made me fee fantastic.
11. I'll work on more illustrations this year. I'd like to illustrate my self-published books in 2014.
Well, that's everything off the top of my head. The only way 2014 will be a great year is if I make it that way. Even though it would be very easy for me to slip into the doldrums on a daily basis since I'm wired that way, I can't let it happen. Here's hoping for a lovely 2014!
March 24, 2011
Come To My New Blog And Web Site!
I have a new blog and web site, and I'm inviting everyone to it. This blog/web site focuses on my erotic writing. I will continue to post sex toys reviews on this blog. So, if you want to keep up with me, visit me at my new digs.
See you there!
February 02, 2011
The Stylish Blogger Awards
I wanted to give a big shout out to Tess Mackall and the Three Wicked Writers blog for nominating me for the Stylish Blogger Awards. I am indeed honored and will pass along the kudos for sure.
For those who have been nominated, there are few criteria to meet:
1. Thank and link back to the person who nominated you, only do not re-nominate them.
2. Share 7 things about yourself
3. Pass along this nomination to 10 recently discovered stylish and cool bloggers
4. Contact them and tell them about their nomination.
Without further ado and in no particular order, here are my Stylish Blog nominees. Sorry, I could only come up with eight since others I would have nominated have already been nominated.
3. AJ Llewellyn
And here are some blogs that are just great to read on their own (note: I write for some of them):
Here are seven facts about me:
1. The only way you can get me to eat a pizza is to slather it with anchovies.
2. I have auburn hair down past my ass. It's nearly four feet long.
3. When I was 12 I ran a planetarium in Baltimore, Maryland.
4. When I was 14 I was a major in the Civil Air Patrol.
5. I can play the accordion.
6. I used to be a fundamentalist Christian until I actually read the Bible.
7. I almost asked out actor Daniel Baldwin when I worked on "Homicide: Life On The Street" but I chickened out.
Well, that's more than enough about me. Enjoy the blogs, and hang out in comments.
September 30, 2010
35 And Feeling Miserable? You're Having A Mid-Life Crisis!
Are you 35 and feeling miserable? Then you must be having a mid-life crisis! The gist of this Brit study says that if a man isn't halfway up the career ladder by the time he's 35 he's unlikely to get there at all. That makes perfect sense. The study also found that 35 is a bellwether year for long working hours interfering with family obligations, children, and tending to aging parents. The decade between 35 and 44 were some of the most miserable years out there. Sex life sucks. Marriages and relationships are rocky. Work life is a joke. In other words, it's sucks to be 35.
I had a mid-life crisis every ten years when I made major changes in my life. Speaking of 35, when I was 34 I started divorce proceedings against my ex and that was the smartest move I made in a very long time. He kept me in court for another six years but I prevailed in the end. I also started a career in stage craft at the time but eventually had to stop due to lack of work in my area. So I'm one of those people with a miserable life between 35 and 44. But I didn't wallow in it. I changed it.
Ten years later, at 45, I gave up family law work because it was unrewarding, thankless, and didn't pay worth squat. I now am a sex writer and I am much happier. I never really noticed the age I was when I made the major life changes but they do seem to be within ten years of each other - 35 then 45. I suppose 55 is the next big change but I don't see any reason to change my life at this time.
I've never had a bad sex life although I wish for more sex now. I've always had a very high sex drive that was sated most of the time but there were a few dry spells. When I'm in the mood and he's not I rely on my favorite sex toys to keep me satisfied. Thank God for Lelo! We do like to try out my toys and especially my massage oils and such so our sex life is coming along quite nicely.
So what about you? Are you 35 and feeling that life is passing you by? What changes do you want to make in your life?
September 27, 2010
Work For This Week
Going to do my usual dildos writing, a sex toy review (maybe two), set up some chats for late October through December, and work on my untitled work in progress. It's fall so I'm also getting ready to do some baking, most notably more madeleine cookies and chocolate biscotti. I'm also going to bake pumpkin bread, banana bread, and zucchini bread. I love to bake in the fall. It's the perfect season for baking. I'm also going to watch lots of movies.
Tonight: "Mad Men" party with fondue and iced tea. Yum!
September 26, 2010
Today's Word Count
This morning I wrote 1,764 words in my untitled Alpha Male/female novella. Two chapters. Not bad at all! Did it all while listening to the soundtrack to the movie "Half Light", then Aimee Mann, and finally Cascada.
Now I'm going to watch "Zombieland". I heard that's a funny movie. I'm in the mood for a horror comedy and zombies are such fun.
September 25, 2010
A Quiet Weekend
I'm watching movies today and I'm going to read. Working out the plot to my latest story in my head before I write more of it. So far, so good. It's going to be a nice, peaceful weekend. Still need parts to completely fix my computer but they will come in due time. The computer is working fine right now as it is so there's no rush.
September 23, 2010
My Weekend Is Upon Me
I'm going to spend my weekend working on my old wives tale Alpha Male paranormal erotic romance. I also have a Skype meeting with an editor this afternoon for more writing assignments. So I'll be very busy over the next couple of weeks.
Next weekend we'll go to another vintage baseball game. I really like those games and I'm not a sports fan. We eat steamer clams, sausage sandwiches, and drink good microbrewed beer. Yum!
So I'll update as I get more information on my upcoming assignments. I have a few suggestions that might go over well. Keep your fingers crossed.
September 20, 2010
Enjoyed My Week Off
As chance would have it I had little to do last week. Finished my articles and edits for stories so I had a lot of free time. I took the week off, and boy did I need it! All I did all week was write a little about vibrators, but that was it. I realize now I was a bit burned out and I needed some rest. I vegged, baked, read, watched schlocky B-flick movies, and went to a fall festival. I had a blast all week long, doing nothing.
Now it's time to get back in the swing of things. I'm about to start a Halloween story for a new publisher so keep your fingers crossed it gets accepted. It's based on an old wives tale that if you sleep on Halloween with a sprig of rosemary and a silver sixpence under your pillow that you will dream about your future lover. Sounds like a fine jumping point for an erotic story!
I also baked madeleines yesterday. Madeleines are French butter cookies. Recipe coming tomorrow.
Anyway, I'm back and raring to go. Let's get to it!
May 07, 2010
I Now Write For Good Vibrations Magazine
I now write for Good Vibrations Magazine. Want to read fun articles about sex? Check out Good Vibes Mag!
Here's the link to my Good Vibrations page, including links and excerpts from all my articles:
My First Post – Talking 'Bout Sex, Money, And Raising A Son
My son, who will go by the name The Royal Spawn since my blog is called The Countess, is in college now. He’s had a long-suffering attitude about my sex writing, as in he knows about it but I don’t go into detail because he says it’s TMI. (If you don’t know what TMI stands for, Google it.) When he last came up to Massachusetts from college in Maryland to visit for winter break, I showed him my first book in print form and I was very excited about it. So was he and he was very happy for me, but he backed off and said “but it has naughty words in it”. He wouldn’t touch my book with a ten foot pole.
Purity balls are all the rage. Girls pledged to their fathers that their hymens would remain intact until they married some guy who wasn’t under nearly the same pressure to remain “pure” as they were. As I have previously noted, teens who made abstinence pledges are almost as likely to be infected with a sexually transmitted disease as those who never made the pledge. So much for the effectiveness of purity balls and abstinence pledges.